LWVMN Letter in Defense of Democracy
A few additional facts relating to the letter:
- Why is this letter so long? We have delivered a literal and metaphorical response to the baseless claims of voter fraud and the violence these claims are inciting. Our letter cites our claims with evidence and facts, contrary to the statements we're hearing from several elected officials who still deny the legitimacy of this election (2020). From them, we have hearsay and rumors and no direct evidence or facts. Let this letter be both useful in its content, but also in its example of what information should be provided when serious accusations are made.
- Has LWVUS approved this action? Yes, we have worked with them and built off their bold action to call for impeachment of Donald Trump, based largely on his actions which incited the assault on our nation's Capitol on January 6, 2021. We stand with one voice on the need to call for truth and accountability around our elections. And we also need to bring that voice to bear to our local state government as well, where needed.
- What is the basis for angling out particular legislators in this letter? We strongly value transparency, so have shared the names of this legislators who have engaged in actions which publicly acknowledge their confidence in the results of the 2020 election so that those using this false information will stand down from their violent behavior.
- Should LWVMN be making demands of our legislators? Please read the history of the 19th Amendment passage here in Minnesota. Their efforts included continually making known those who did and did not support suffrage so that we could push the agenda of an inclusive democracy forward. Such as we do today, we are making known those legislators who are asking for our certified-election results to be doubted or overthrown, and asking that they change their public opinion and support our strong system of elections here in Minnesota.
- Is this a partisan act? Being nonpartisan means LWV does not support any specific party or candidate. Equally, it means that we don't abandon our well-studied positions based on a legislator's party. We will continue to work with all legislators, regardless of party, to advance free and fair elections. And we will continue to hold accountable all legislators, regardless of party, who undermine democracy.